Well, the time has come to put the kids in school! I have loved every second of being home with the kids during the week but am ready for some free weekends! So we did a lot of research and found a school that we both feel comfortable with. It is Merryhill School and it is 5 minutes from our house and on the way to/from work. It is a private preschool that takes infants/toddlers too, part time. So the kids will go to school Tuesdays and Thursdays and I will go to work! I think it will be good for everyone. I was very excited to get them started and am very pleased with the school we chose, so I wasn't expecting the mixed emotions I had on their first day! I held it together as I dropped them off, but when I got to the car, the tears started flowing. It is such a tough thing to do to drop your kids off with complete strangers and trust that they are going to care for, nurture and protect your children! Ashlyn and I dropped Paxton off in his room first. I wanted her to know where his class was and that he would be there with her. He did great...made himself right at home with all the fun toys! Next, we went to Ashlyn's class. As soon as she walked in the door all of the kids came running up to say "hi" to her and give her hugs. It was really sweet, but maybe slightly overwhelming! She was so brave and held it together but her bottom lip was trembling as she fought back the tears (similar to our Santa experience). I peaked in the window as I went to my car and she was sitting at a table playing so that made me feel better!
I was scheduled to work, but was cancelled last minute so I found myself with almost 6 hours of kidless free time! WOW! I don't think I have had that since Paxton was born. I started at the mall, but found myself missing the kids! I would see mom's pushing strollers and start tearing up! I also kept thinking I heard Ashlyn calling me! I left the mall and ran a few errands. I did enjoy hopping in and out of the car without dealing with car seats, diaper bags and strollers! It was so amazing how quickly I could get things done. I had lunch on a patio and realized I still had 4 hours to kill before I picked up the kids! I drove by the school (one more time) on my way home. I rushed around the house doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, picking up, paying bills...etc! It was now 1:30! Decided to lay down and take a nap! Couldn't really sleep so I read my book for my book club...finished 180 pages and dozed a little. Now it was 3:30...was trying to wait until 4:30 to pick them up! Ran a few more errands on my way to get them and pulled into the school at 4:15!
I was so excited to see them and hear how their first day went! I picked up Ashlyn first. They were having circle time and as soon as I walked up to the door, she hopped up and pointed and said "Mommy"! She was very excited to see me and was all smiles. She actually said she wanted to stay at school which made me feel great! Her teacher, Ms. Irena, said she had a great day and even took an hour nap! Ashlyn and I went to pick up Paxton and he didn't give me quite the warm welcome. He burst into tears and starting bawling! The teacher started laughing saying "He has been the best baby and those are the first tears I have seen all day!" Tugging at my heart strings! He only napped for 15 minutes (I totally expected that because he is such a light sleeper) and fell asleep as soon as we pulled out of the driveway. All in all it was a great day and I am sure my emotions will get in check as we settle into our new routine!
 |
| Loaded up and ready for the day! |
 |
| Finished with swimming lessons and ready for school |
 |
| Ready to walk in for their first day! |
 |
| Made himself right at home with the toys! |
 |
| Paxton and Ms. Inez (I think...not exactly sure how to spell it!) |
 |
| Ashlyn's warm welcome! |
 |
| Ashlyn and Ms. Irena |
 |
| Holding back the tears |
 |
| Took this picture in the car...can't get it to flip around! |
No comments:
Post a Comment