Monday, May 16, 2011

Grey's Anatomy saves the day!

Ashlyn has yet another cold (I really don't know when one stops and another starts) so she went to KidMed today at school instead of her regular classroom.  It is a small nursing section of the daycare where sick kids can go to get a little extra TLC.  She wasn't sick enough for us to stay home with her, but we really wanted her to be able to get some rest.  That does not happen in classroom 6!  She is go go go.  There is a nurse on staff in KidMed and she closely monitors these kids.  She called me around 1 and said Ashlyn's "wheezing" was getting worse and she thought I should take her to the doctor.  I made an appointment, but our regular pediatrician didn't have any openings.  So I opted for one of his partners...they are all wonderful so I really didn't mind.  The pediatrician listened to her lungs and said she definitely had some wheezing and he wanted to give her an Albuterol breathing treatment.  I politely reminded him that she is on Propranolol and I don't think she can have Albuterol.  He replied, "I think it is ok, but I will double check".  He comes back a few minutes later and says "You were right...she can't have Albuterol".  I was so embarrassed to tell him how I knew that.  I never watch Grey's Anatomy, but one night it was on for background noise (Ashlyn must have been a lot younger because we don't really need background noise anymore:).  It caught my attention as one of the residents was freaking out saying "I can't give my patient Albuterol because he is on Propranolol...he will stop breathing".  I filed that info into this overcrowded mommy brain of mine and was able to retrieve it when I needed it!  Yes!  The pediatrician said she wouldn't stop breathing, but it just wouldn't work.  I really didn't want to find out.  We decided to "watch her" for another couple of days and monitor the wheezing.  My discharge instructions were "Take her to the ER if it gets worse"...very reassuring!  Can you say another sleepless night?  Oh well...Thank you Meredith Grey's sister (I don't even know her name)!

No comments:

Post a Comment