Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Double ear infections

Well, we made it almost 9 months and through cold and flu season without any illnesses so I cannot complain...but his first bout of sickness has been a doozie!  It started the day we left for vacation (of course).  He had a cold while we were gone and I was suspecting he was getting an ear infection.  I took him to the doctor when we got home and sure enough DOUBLE ear infections.  Poor guy.  We started an antibiotic and he was still sick a week later!  I took him back to the doctor and when I undressed him, he had a full body rash.  Good timing!  The doctor felt pretty certain it was a reaction to the Augmentin (penicillin based) and he switched his antibiotics because he left ear was still infected!  The rash continued to get worse so I took him back to the doctor 2 days later and the doctor confirmed it was an allergic reaction.  We started Benadryl and oatmeal baths and he was much better in a day or so.  Chance and I are both allergic to penicillin, but Ashlyn has been fine with it.  Because of this allergy and the fact that he has had double ear infections already (and 1 that didn't respond to the antibiotics) I think we will have a lower threshold for an ENT consultation for the tubes talk.  They have been a lifesaver for Ashlyn so I wouldn't hesitate with Paxton!  Praying this guy feels better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment