Saturday, May 18, 2013

105.3!

Ok...so maybe I panicked...but after 72 hours of 102-103 fevers (alternating Tylenol and Motrin) I went straight to the ER when he woke up at 3 am with a 105.3 fever! Yes, I panicked fearing he would have a febrile seizure. I sped to the ER (with the hazards on) with the interior lights on so I could watch him in the mirror! They got us right in and when she checked his fever in triage (under his armpit) it was 99...I requested that she check it the other way because that is how I had been monitoring it at home and it was 103.7! For the life of me I do not understand the discrepancy! Anyway, they gave him another dose of Motrin (on top of the Tylenol I had already given him at home before we left). They did a check x-ray because his breathing was pretty labored. The x-ray showed some congestion but no pneumonia. The ER doctor was wonderful and basically diagnosed him with a virus that would run its course but could last another 2-3 days! I paid for our $200 dose of Motrin and a peace of mind. His fever continued for another 48 hours so our pediatrician wanted to see him. He took a bunch of swabs and ruled out the normal viruses and then wanted to get a urine specimen to check for a bladder or kidney infection. Ha! That was not fun...he wore the bag under his diaper for a while but never went so they had to catheterize him for a sample. The preliminary results showed a high likelihood of a UTI so he started him on an antibiotic while we waited for the cultures to come back. We went home after a very long appointment. Chance ran out to get the prescription and I started getting the kids ready for bed. We were playing in Ashlyn's room and she told me "Pax ate that" and was pointing to the door stop that was missing the rubber stopper! Awesome! Let's add ingested a foreign object to his list of ailments! I is a quick finger sweep as he swallowed the stopper. And our search and rescue mission began! More on those efforts later...anyway...long story long :) the cultures came back negative so we stopped the antibiotics right around the time his fever finally went away! It was a very long week of a very high fever of unknown etiology!!!! Oh yeah, and Ashlyn decided to potty train right in the middle if it all! Good times!
My sweet angel on Mother's Day
Oh...I forgot to mention...my teammate was sick too so I was running the fever/potty train week solo!  Here are some funny pictures my 2 sick boys took one afternoon!
At the pediatrician's office
In the ER
Feeling better after a $200 dose of Motrin!
Happy to have those smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment