My Grandma Sally passed away about a month ago. I haven't really posted anything about it because I haven't really known what to say. It has been a very odd feeling. With the onset of dementia and its rather rapid progression, I honestly feel like she has been gone for a while. We were able to spend the weekend with her before she passed away and she smiled at me and held my hand and told me she loved me. She knew who I was and she got to see the kids. They always brought such happiness to her!
She has been so generous to me, my entire life! Always giving me wonderful gifts, taking me on trips, flying me out for visits, buying me expensive shoes, passing on her heirloom jewelry, buying my children's crib and giving me her antique furniture. She always spoiled me (but not rotten:). When she passed away, we spent the weekend going through her remaining belongings (we did this 3 times prior with each of her moves so it was very narrowed down). I took home a few more of her things that I will always cherish. In my box, I grabbed a Costco-sized bag of goldfish...knowing my children would plow through it in a few days. As the bag emptied, I found one last goldfish on my nightstand. As long as I can remember, Grandma Sally has always had a bowl of goldfish out to snack on. For some reason this last goldfish has been more memorable than most of the other possessions she has given me. I know it won't last forever (I am honestly quite surprised the dogs or children haven't found it yet), but I have enjoyed the memories and smiles it brings to me every time I see it :)

Thanks for this memory. Brought a few tears--but, finally, they are happy tears.
ReplyDeleteAw, made me teary Kristi. I miss my grandmother daily and dream about her often!! It sounds as if you had a wonderful relationship with her; she was lucky to have YOU as her sweet granddaughter…and those kids. I know those kids made her smile!! xoxo. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh…who knew a goldfish could make me cry!? It may not last forever, but your beautiful memories certainly will (especially because you're documenting them). So sorry for the loss of your grandmother.
ReplyDelete