Friday, July 20, 2012

Swimming lessons

After a lot of discussion we decided to sign Ashlyn up for swimming lessons.  A good friend of mine told me about ISR, an aquatic survival program for kids.  I did a lot of research and after seeing her son in action when he got a little too deep in the toddler pool (yes, she was right there...but he totally did what he learned in the lesson!) I decided to sign her up.  It is quite a commitment, physically and financially.  She goes 5 days a week for 10 minutes a day until she is safe in the water.  The average time it takes is 4-6 weeks!  And it isn't cheap...but if she ever has to use what she learned it will be priceless!  I was very apprehensive and anxious about her first lesson. Abby warned me there would be lots of tears and her instructor informed me the crying usually gets worse before it gets better!  The first day went very well.  Ashlyn did cry, but I don't think it was too bad.  The first day they just walked around the pool and then she had her hold on to the wall and she let go of her.  That's when the tears started.  The rest of the week, they worked on keeping her head down in the water while she is learning to swim. Ashlyn spends a lot of time under water during the lessons.  She still cries, but she always does what Ms. Sherri asks her to do. It is a very formal program (Ashlyn's medical history had to be reviewed by a physician, I have to fill out 2 forms every day on what she ate, how she slept, bowel&bladder stuff, and you aren't allow to take videos except with permission on Fridays!).  Towards the end of her lessons she will have to be tested fully clothed to make sure she can handle the weight of her clothes in the water! I am very proud of her and think we made a good decision! 
Ashlyn and Ms. Sherri
Paxton is a trooper during the lessons
Waiting her turn
The tears don't start until Ms. Sherri says
"Ok Ashlyn, it's your turn"

1 comment:

  1. YAY Ashlyn!!! I'm so happy she's doing it! And I love Paxton's new fans - the blue is fun!!!! Love it! She will become water-safe. It's amazing!!! Good girl and good mama..stay strong! I know how hard it is!!

    ReplyDelete