Thursday, January 19, 2012
Crying it out=Climbing it out!
Well not quite, but any day Ashlyn is going to get that last little boost needed to catapult her over the edge of her crib. Perplexed as we watched her scale the sides of her crib on the monitor I wondered where did my good sleeper go?!?! Since she was born, Ashlyn has always been a good sleeper (of the nighttime variety...nap time is more hit or miss). We worked very hard to get her to sleep through night as early as possible. Because of her size and the medication she was taking, I had to wake up her throughout the night for the first 3 months. Once I stopped waking her up, she pretty much slept through the night. Our nighttime routine has always been pretty simple and she usually falls fast asleep without so much as a peep. This last round of ear infections and now bronchiolitis has really thrown her for a loop. Add a bedtime breathing treatment of Xopenex (the form of Albeuterol with less side effects...aka...possibility of causing hyperactivity...HA!) into the mix and we have the Energizer bunny on our hands. I dread bedtime, having no idea what is in store. The night before last it was after midnight before she finally wore herself out. And I shouldn't say herself because she was NOT herself. She was delirious...kicking, hitting, pulling my hair, scratching, screaming...she literally kicked our a$$es! Our 20 month old was out of control! I was spent after 4 hours of going round and round. And I was trying so hard not to get frustrated or lose my patience with her because it was not her fault...and it was totally not her. Yes, she has her sassy moments, but she has never acted like that! Last night was a little milder, having her last breathing treatment at 5:30. We put her to bed at her normal bedtime and she cried and cried for over an hour. After multiple paci retrieving trips (and yes, she would start laughing when we walked in after she threw her pacifier out of the crib), lining the hardwoods under the crib hoping the lessen the impact when she finally takes the plunge and progressive rounds of the Ferber method, we gave in. Call us weak, call us softies, call us what you will...but don't call us until the morning because we are getting some sleep! After 3 sleepless nights something had to give...and it was us this time. Ashlyn had a fairly restful night snuggled up in her favorite place...right smack between her parents! Oh well...hopefully we will have our good little sleeper back really soon...hopefully before June!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment