Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Barometric pressure

Seriously?  A sudden change in barometric pressure can really cause labor?  I started cramping Monday evening and they came and went all night and into the morning.  I called the doctor's office first thing in the morning and they told me to come in for monitoring.  We dropped Ashlyn off at school and headed in.  They hooked me up to the monitor and sure enough, I was having contractions.  The alarming thing was that I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Not good at 31 weeks.  Dr. Waldrep did a fetal fibronectin test (which was negative) and sent me up to labor and delivery for more monitoring.  When we got to the 7th floor they put me in a delivery room!  After a temporary moment of panic, the nurse reassured me she was only putting me in a delivery room because all of the labor rooms were taken.  I assured her we would not be having a baby today!  In the midst of getting admitted, monitored and medications started the terrible weather blew in!  The TV in our room was not working so the only connections to the weather we had were our cell phones and the overhead announcements of "Code Grey" (tornado warning).  It was a very stressful few hours while we tried to keep up with the tornados that barely missed my dad's house (they had some damage, but nothing severe), keep up with daycare and what they were doing with the kids during the storm (evacuation procedure calls for putting the kids in cribs and going into the bathrooms) and trying not to have a baby!  I started a new oral medication that relaxes the uterine muscles, but must be taken 3-4 times a day to be effective!  I also had one shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions immediately.  My dad stopped by to check on me and then ventured home to check out the damage from the storms.  They moved me up to the antepartum unit for more monitoring and to see how I responded to the oral medication.  My mom came up and spent the night with me so Chance could go home with Ashlyn.  They monitored me on and off throughout the night and into the next day and the contractions were less frequent, but still coming!  Jessi and Emma stopped by and dropped off the best chocolate chip cookies ever!  Dr. Waldrep decided I could go home on the new medicine and complete bed rest!  I am allowed to go to the bathroom, shower and refill my water, but that is about it!  At least I get to be home with my family!  Hoping for nothing but sunshine for the next few weeks!
An early Easter basket with Mimi
Blurry pictures, but cute!


Dinner at the hospital
Night Night Mama!
My babies at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment